View Single Post
Old 11th June 2007, 06:10 PM   #13
josh stout

I am not sure what is referred to by the "hanger holes" but the suspension system looks to be authentic late 19thC manufacture. I would love to see a picture of half moon shaped holes as the late pieces I have all look like this one.

As for the pattern welding: This is a wonderful and very valuable 'horse tooth pattern” that can no longer be made by any modern smith. Those who are concerned by the strong pattern similar to the strong round patterns seen on many fakes should look at the way the pattern meets the inserted edge. You will not find this on fakes. Also, there are two separate pattern welds indicating an even higher level of sophistication. There is the pattern at the back that was attached via piled construction to the bar into which the edge was inserted with the horse tooth pattern weld. This construction is usually only found on twist core blades. I cannot quite make out the pattern on the back, but it might almost be a kind of twist core. I would appreciate if a smith could explain it to me.

Entering the realm of speculation, this looks like a late piece from the end of the 19thC made for a wealthy connoisseur or officer. The fittings would not indicate a particularly high rank, but the blade indicates the owner had significant wealth. I have seen other late show pieces with twist core blades or other fancy pattern welds and this one seems to fit in with that type.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote