Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 18th August 2017, 04:21 PM   #1
Sam U Rye

Default Introduction

Hello everyone!
I'm writing to introduce myself as a new member to this forum. I've been buying keris hilts for about 20 years,and was lucky to have experienced a time, when these little dieties were plentiful and easily found. I have acquired my entire collection online, and along the way, have had the privilege of knowing great Keris hilt collectors with a passion for hilts. I owe a debt of gratitude to the late Wolfgang Spielman, who was my friend teacher and mentor, and to Jean Greffoiz, Willie Wilkowitz, Detlef Deuter, Weta Hartanto, and Alan Maisey, all of whom have been kind and generous in sharing their knowledge about Keris, with me. Finally, I have first traveled to Indonesia, as a graduate student and staff member on World Campus Afloat, in 1974, when I visited Jogjakarta and Bali for the first time. A kind guard allowed entrance after hours into Borabadur, and I was able to climb the massive monument and wander among the bells and Buddha's for an hour beholding the magnificent sunset amongst the flying fruit bats, in this amazing prehistoric setting. I also spent an all too short stay on Bali, where I watched many of the traditional dances, including the Kecak dance, and was first introduced to Keris on this magic isle. As a poor graduate student, I collected only memories back then, and it wasn't till many years later when I acquired my first hilt. They remind me of those glorious travels of my youth, that gave me the capacity to appreciate the art and beauty of Keris hilts.
As such I asked to become a member of this body in order to converse with others who have a passion for these beautiful treasures. I look forward to knowing the members of this community.
Regards,
Craig Yamasaki
Sam U Rye is offline   Reply With Quote