View Single Post
Old 10th June 2013, 02:41 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you guys for these outstanding entries!!!
My goal was to hopefully find anyone out there who might have either takouba or kaskara with a blade inscribed with the so called 'Spanish Motto'. Since that particular phrase and motto has been so often discussed on these pages through the years, I presumed that the words and thier meaning were well understood by those reading here. Clearly I should have reiterated the translation.

I would point out that it would seem understandable as Gav has well pointed out, that these Spanish oriented words would not been as appealing for merchants trading in nominally Islamic tribal regions. It seems well placed that symbolic devices which may be perceived into local tribal parlances would be more marketable.

Actually it is important to note that indeed the Tauregs are indeed Caucasoid, as are the other Berber tribes included in these broad Saharan confederations (if that term is correctly applied). They indeed adopted chivalric customs, traditions and ideals largely through European contact and trade.
I would point out however that my question was directed more to ALL tribal groups using the takouba, many of whom are of course, not Caucasian.
I should have clarified that as well.

It is interesting to note that in actuality, the 'Spanish motto' blades were produced in Germany FOR Spain in the 18th century for apparant use in her colonies in New Spain. My thought was that though most of these went into the Americas in volume, perhaps some were redirected into the routes which headed for North Africa, and entered those into Saharan regions.

I rechecked notes from my copy of Briggs and found that he referenced an instance of some of these blades on 1948 (from Zohrer, 1953) and that Lhote has seen some of the French versions of the blades with motto about 1930. These instances seem to have been incidental, and not indicative of any large volume import, but I am hoping examples remain out there!

Thank you again guys for answering with these well placed observations, and my apologies for questions less than adequately postured.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote