View Single Post
Old 1st August 2009, 01:05 AM   #27
A. G. Maisey

I don't have any pics I can show you David. I've seen pics over the years, but they have been in various books, some I own, some I don't, and since this is something that doesn't interest me very much, I do not keep records of where they are.

I agree that the little notches at the back would have almost no impact at all on grip.

As for discussion.

A theory is a supposition, or a system of ideas that has been constructed to explain something. We do not ever need to prove a theory:- if we can prove it, it is no longer a theory.

However, when we propose a theory we should be able to support that theory with a logical argument, or with evidence. As noted, we do not need to prove it, but we should be able to come up with some convincing and above all logical arguments to support our ideas.

We are not in academia here, this is just an open discussion amongst friends, so perhaps we do not need to be as strict as might be the case in an academic setting, however, as in any subject, there can be varying levels of knowledge held by the participants in the discussion.

In the situation in which we find ourselves, that is, an online discussion group that is populated by people of various nations, various ages, various levels of knowledge, and for the most part using names other than their own names, we have absolutely no way of knowing the level of authority with which any contributor speaks.

Moreover, the discussion that takes place is open to observation by many people across the globe who never take part in any discussion.

Now, factor in the friendly, non-confrontational nature of discussion that does take place here. We all put our views, and are almost never called upon to support those views. Thus, our discussions generate a lot of opinions, but very few supportable theories. What we have is a "good ideas club".

I'm not criticising this. Its a friendly atmosphere, quite unlike some other on-line discussion groups, we don't seem to have any abrasive personalities --- the ones who have appeared from time to time have gone elsewhere to exercise their egos when they found that they could not get a fight.

But the very positive factors that have formed the nature of our discussion group are also negatives in any search for expanded understanding.

All of these factors operating together have, I believe, the potential to create a situation where somebody's "good idea" can be taken up by members of the community who access these pages and before long be turned into accepted wisdom, but wisdom that cannot be supported.

I am not arguing for change. We have a friendly , social group. I like it that way. I can get enough argument and confrontation in other aspects of my life, I do not want it in something that I see as one of my areas of relaxation.

But let us not delude ourselves that our friendly exchange of good ideas is contributing to a better understanding of the keris.

If we want that better understanding to become reality, then the "good ideas" are going to have to become more structured and be supported by logic or evidence.

If we do this, then we might be able to generate some theories.

If we do not, then what we have is friendly, social intercourse.

Which, I agree, is not a waste of time, but it is not productive in fostering a better understanding founded in reality.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote