View Single Post
Old 28th July 2009, 09:01 AM   #6
ganjawulung

Default ELEVEN NOTCHES hilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikscollectables
I would like to learn more about the symbolism of this hilt. Who has more info on this? Reading throug the books I have I found very little.
Dear Erik,
IMHO one of the complete book on Bali and Lombok Kerises is Ir Lalu Djelenga's book, "Keris di Lombok" (1994, 2000). It is interesting to read on this special "danda" or "danganan" (keris hilt), usually used by (Balinese and Lombokese) soldiers, selected soldiers with very special ability named "Pemating". A commando type of soldiers, which usually they are 'invulnerable' to weapons.

The normal "cekahan" hilt, usually has "eleven notches" ("solas takikan" in Lombokese dialect). That is why, this type of hilt usually named as "Cekah Solas" danganan, or Cekah Solas hilt, or just say it in universal words as "eleven notches hilt"... ("solas" in javanese language is "sewelas", or eleven in English)

The form of this hilt almost similar with "Bondolan" type (please see the comparison from my collection below), an ordinary type of Balinese of Lombokese hilt. The difference only lies on the "takikan" (notches) in the grip-side.

The normal notches are eleven -- please count: five on each plain side, and one notch on the front side (please see the picture). If more than eleven notches, then it will be called as "Cekah Redut". Unordinary cekahan...

This type of hilt (also bondolan type) -- according to Mr Djelenga -- now maybe use for any type of Balinese or Lombokese warangka, whether it is a gayaman, ladrang or even "jamprahan" (special warangka for pedanda or Hindhu priest)...

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote