View Single Post
Old 29th October 2021, 03:29 AM   #18
Peter Hudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
I'm glad to see this topic brought forward Peter. We worked on compiling this material for a number of years, and it was surprising how much was completely unknown about these swords.
With Zanzibar being the 'X-factor' in the equation, and the efforts to further cloud the commerce in slaving, things were certainly pushed farther into darkness.

The fact that Burton, a remarkably detailed observer with specific acumen in swords and prolific writer on many subjects, noted these details in his narrative in 1859, places them in real time. His observations on the German blades in this context and in that time, associated with the Omani sa'if as typically carried in Zanzibar (Demmin, 1877; Burton, 1884) place these weapons in situ in these regions in 1859, so likely earlier as well.

The curved blade versions therefore were actually termed 'kitara' as discussed several years ago, with a colloquial nod toward these regions in Africa, while the long bladed broadswords familiar to modern collectors were known as 'kattara' loosely drawing from that term. Actually, as with many swords, such as kaskara, the native term was simply sa'if.

Thank you Jim, A great deal of muddying of waters has been applied by various governments concerning slavery and I was astonished to find history being erased in the situation with Bunyoro-Kitara (The Kingdom of the Sword) in the African Great Lakes.
No one I spoke to in Oman where I was for 40 years including a decade in their army had even heard of Bunyoro-Kitara though many guessed that the curved sword had something to do with Zanzibar. Kitara is not an Omani word but arrived when that weapon became adopted as The Slavers Sword around the time Said the Great died in about 1856... Often locals termed it the Kataara almost as a colloquial term or pronunciation but trying to find it on a modern day computer proved hopeless until I applied a few spelling changes and eventually as Kitara it popped up pointing the way to its true African link to a country in the Great Lakes; Bunyoro-Kitara...To my knowledge Omani people sometimes use the word Sayf/Saif for any sword and Saif can be a mans first name in Islam...but so far as I could discover Sayf or Saif was for the straight sword I term The Dancer....and for the curved sword of very similar style Kitara was the correct pronunciation.

1. The Straight flexible Long Handled, No Cross Guard, Two sharp edges, flat spatulate tipped, fullered (up to 3), Accompanied (usually) by The Terrs with Omani style leather work to scabbard and hilt. Omani Silver Furniture..
Used to herald the Ruler and at Weddings and traditional dance and performances in The Funoon and at the two Eids in the Islamic Year and in particular in the war dance between warriors in a point scoring warm up event. It can be seen that the Old Omani Battle Sword passes on a few details to this sword in the sharp double edge, The Flat Spatulate Tip and The Terrs Shield. Probably brought into service by Said the Great in the initial part of his Reign aprox 1820. Perhaps along with the Royal Khanjar Hilt, Royal Cummerbunds and Royal Hilt on the Royal Omani Battle Sword.... thus may have been introduced by one of his wives... Sheherazad. This hilt is shown at Omani Khanjars #1. This sword is illustrated in this thread

2. The Curved Kitara with lengthened tang and given the long Omani Handle and Terrs and worn as the Badge of Office of an Omani Slaver not usually used in dancing though may be used and is used outside of Oman ie UAE. The Blade is a heavy backblade with deep fullers along the back edge...and pointed and stiff. Probably an invention inspired by the use of Zanzibar by Said The Great possibly in the second half of the period 1806 /1856 aprox 1840. The sword is also on this thread as is the Terrs.

Both swords above are thus attributed by design and application to the ruler Said The Great ; The first A Dancer and the Second A badge of Office of A slaver/ linked to the Zanzibar African Great Lakes particularly Bunyoro-Kitara. Jim deserves special mention in unlocking the secrets hidden away in Richard Burtons books and his travels with Speke but as I say ...These hidden Gems are the result of solid research by Jim and the patience of you all...

Peter Hudson.

Last edited by Peter Hudson; 30th October 2021 at 02:36 AM.
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote