Thread: Garuda Kris
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2022, 07:49 PM   #29
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
Thanks for sharing your research!

I'm not well-versed in Mindanao and Sulu art, but I can see traces of Moro patterns in our odd hilts. Also, to note- I read that jawa demam has a certain ambiguity when it comes to what's depicted on the pommel- sometimes it's indeed viewed of as garuda; but it can also be viewed as a crouched man carrying a snake. This is interestingly parallel to the prevailing symbols in Mindanao and Sulu- Mindanao, for its sarimanok, and Sulu, for its naga.
I must admit that i have never heard Jawa Demam described as a "crouched man carrying a snake". The generally accepted theory is that the name, which basically means "Feverish Javanese" comes from an abstract figure that appears to be a man bent forward (nor crouching) with his arm wrapped across his belly as if in physical distress. Ergo "feverish". This is not to say that was the original intent of the form. I suppose it is possible it was originally intended as a bird form, but i suspect that many of these long-nosed or "beaked" figures more likely were derived from various long nosed wayang characters rather than birds.
David is offline   Reply With Quote