Thread: DHA ?
View Single Post
Old 18th July 2008, 09:31 PM   #14
RhysMichael

Great stuff Mark thanks
The few photos I have seen of Nashi ( Naxi) attributed them to Yunnan. Aren't the Nashi Tibeto-Burman or Tibeto-Chinese also ?

Similar blade forms are also seen among the Akha. They are found in Tibet, China, Laos, Burma and Thailand.

Here is a blade similar to the one at the top carried by an Akha man in Tibet. Notice he also carries a more traditional tibetan sword

The shorter wider dao sword attributed to the naga are seen among some of the Abor ( Adi) People. The abor are a collective tribe living in the Himalayan hills of Arunachal Pradesh (in northeastern India),

An Abor Padam with "naga dao"

An abor Minyong with a "naga dao"

I believe the Abor(adi) are Tibeto-Burman also ( but I could be wrong on this ) If so it may be more evidence that the "Naga Sword Dao" is really more a Tibeto-Burman weapon than a naga one.

Photos from the smithsonian collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
Gentlemen,

Is there any evidence of trade between Eastern Naga's and Burma ? Is it possible that elements of weapons were copied from each other ?

regards
Royston
Definitly there is a gread deal of trade and migration of peoples in this area. That is part of what makes it so confusing to say which sword comes from each ethnic group.

Last edited by RhysMichael; 18th July 2008 at 09:53 PM.
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote