View Single Post
Old 15th December 2005, 04:53 AM   #6
Antonio Cejunior

Default MORE ON PRE-SELECTION

Hi everyone,

I'm almost done with the updates. Only one contributor missing the descriptions.
Today is December 15 my morning and we still have two days to go as far as your time is concerned, so it will be ready on time.

SUGGESTIONS

1. I suggest a pre-selection in which swords (I do privilege swords as first choice for technical display reasons, as well as catalog photographs reasons and finally because all sections will be mainly concentrated on swords) should be pre-selected by groups-shapes such as

KRIS
The picture below is just an example.

where you should name your preferences by selecting the sword's reference number.

Barong

And so forth and on, by groups.

A second group of selected weapons should be also performed as stand-by group for the possible extension of the space.

The Final selection should result in, numbering the swords for the catalog this way. (let us start with Kris as an example and the references are just examples taken at random):

1 (JCA8)
2 (RZ1)
3 (BP2)

This means I will then know the final sequence and grouping, as well as the owner of the sword in the new numbering and so forth. This kind of identification is of paramount importance, for which reason, when we reach that phase, there can be no mistakes

The bold 1 means it will be the Philippines Section opening sword of the Kris sub-section.
My other suggestion is that the lowest number 1 should be attributed to the oldest chosen sword or, cumulatively, to the same region/province as sword 2 and so forth.

This of course applies to all types of swords grouped by shapes/names.
I know the names issue can be controversial, but we are here to solve problems together, not to raise them . Think of the public and combine the public, the exhibition grouping and the catalogue which should make all the sense by seeing all the groupings.

NORMALIZATION OF NOMENCLATURES
Naming of the swords can be complicated, but I feel they must be distinguished and in his article or in the Glossary mentioned in the post before this one, Federico should make an explanation on this.
Philippines history is another issue that is of the utmost importance, although should be a brief resume and a reference to other books provided for those interested.

DISPLAY AND SPEARS
My role is not a pleasant one. If I were able to take decisions and manage the budget, all weapons would be exhibited.
I would like to state here once and forever, that every contributor is worth the Museum's and my personal gratitude and admiration. But a spear that is between 1.60 m to 1.80 m if displayed vertically, will have the tip quite far away from the viewer's eye, because the display cases are not levelled with the ground. On the other hand they pose a problem shipping. The third issue is that we can only afford one single picture per sword/weapon in most cases, which means that the photograph for the catalogue will need to be of superb quality. As no other Section is displaying spears, I think, although they exist in all cultures, we should allow the space that the spears occupy to display a couple more of swords.

I hate this role, but I am very familiar with the space and display techniques require special lighting that cannot be repeated as it was done for 18 swords in the Masters of Fire Exhibition display for it would be an incalculable price.

Therefore we will have to bear in mind the angles of lighting and so forth.

Please do not hesitate in placing any questions you have. But please place it here for everyone to see.

Thanks very much.
Mark: yep, imperative, not imperious or imperial thanks.