View Single Post
Old 28th May 2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Absolutely fantastic David! You are 'the man'!!!!

These are perfect observations and references to the seemingly neverending 'mysteries' of the Sudanese weapons, which have indeed been discussed many times through the years. Beyond the mention that there were in some degree, forces from India deployed in these regions by the British Raj, I believe that there was a significant influence of Indian weaponry brought in via the Red Sea trade. Naturally, many of these weapons were from the Arab trade from the western ports of India.

The unusual twin bladed knife, the haladie, as you know was noted in Stone as also being termed 'the Syrian knife'. We have established that Mamluk influence from Egyptian regions into Sudan was largely the source of not only the kaskara, but various other weapons as well. Since Syria and Egypt were long connected via the Mamluks, the plausible connection can be seen. Also worthy of note, the Rajput connection, and the madu madu, the weapon of buffalo horns which served to influence these.

In the past weeks I have encountered a number of weapons that show distinct parity with elements seen in the weapons of India, and I heartily agree on the cross cultural influences you describe between Indian regions and those of Sudan as well as contiguous trade regions.

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 28th May 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote