View Single Post
Old 8th October 2023, 09:24 PM   #5
werecow

Yes they appear quite enigmatic. One of very few swords that does not even seem to have its own collector's term besides "Tunisian berber sword". An English to Amazigh translator says the word for sword is ajenwi or ajnwi, so maybe in keeping with tradition that would be a good term?

Thanks for adding your own example! Very similar blades on these.

I like the decorative stitching very much and indeed the baldric is a large part of why I decided to go for this one. The leather does look like it is in danger of drying out (a small 1cm2 piece of it unfortunately came off in transit), so if anyone has any suggestions as to how to best preserve it I am all ears.

If not for the baldric and scabbard, I might have waited around for a silver hilted one (I know of one that I'd love to add here but I'll wait until the auction is over). I wonder if someone with expertise in silver work could tell us more about what tribe might have produced them?

It's remarkably light with that horn hilt. I thought maybe the grip would look clunky from the pictures, but in real life it actually looks quite modest and elegant.

Last edited by werecow; 8th October 2023 at 10:23 PM.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote