View Single Post
Old 9th June 2017, 02:01 AM   #6
Gonzalo G

It looks almost identical to the trooper light cavalry saber model 1840, if for the "belly" on the hilt, since the photograph, as per Vicente Toledo Momparlerīs book Espadas Espaņolas Militares y Civiles (Military and Civilian Spanish Swords), the part of the hilt covered in leather is less rounded in the "belly". That kind of more pronounced "belly" is found on the hilt of the artillery officerīs sabre model 1842. But that is not an important feature, since there were small variants in those years. It is perfectly possible that, in those years of disarray in the Spanish ordinance models, this slightly more pronounced hilt could be used in the making of the light cavalry sabers, but for the reast they are very different weapons.

The light cavalry saber model 1840 was widely used by the Hussars of the Princess, which were made famous for their relevant role in the Campaign of Africa, carried by the General Juan Prim y Prats, Count of Reus, Marquis of Los Castillejos and Viscount of Bruch. The princess in question was Isabel Maria Luisa, the future queen Isabel II of Spain. The original, as per Momparlerīs book, had a width of 29 milimeters and a blade lenght of 875 milimeters.
I would say it is the same saber. As per beign some sort of duplicate, I canīt tell without having it on my hands.
Regards
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote