View Single Post
Old 11th April 2023, 01:12 PM   #7
tanaruz

Default BINUAYA/BINUWAYA MAGUINDANAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Yves,

Thank you again for clarifying the use of this interesting sword. There is a form of panabas that has a somewhat similar shaped blade as your binuwaya that has been called a padsumbalin panabas. Are they the same? I notice you use padsumbalin to describe the condemned criminal. The term padsumbalin panabas appears in Robert Cato's book I think.
Hello Ian,

Padsumbalin (Maguindanao term-not sure with the other moro group)- literally means the act of 'slitting' (i.e., the throat of a condemned criminal(Note: not to chop or lop the head off- as this was not 'proper' for them).

The binuayas in our collection is the classical, accepted form of the blade (this is because of the 3-nation representation of Maguindanao bangsamoro). The blade form must adhere to this form.

Since the term padsumbalin literally means the act of slitting the throat- perhaps other blades (besides the binuaya) might be used, or thought of to be used, for slitting throats, hence the term padsumbalin. IMHO.

'Padsumbalin panabas'. Unlike the binuaya whose length (size) they say is just right to be used for slitting throats, the panabas (from the word 'tabas') literally, in my opinion is best for 'chopping'. It's larger (than the binuaya) Our source say that wielders of the panabas, during battle, would chop (not slit) the wounded or disabled enemy.

Having said this- the term 'padsumbalin panabas', for us is quite hazy.

Saludos,

Yves

PS: do you have a picture of the so-called padsumbalin panabas?
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote