View Single Post
Old 26th January 2007, 03:31 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi BerberDagger,
That is definitely an extremely attractive koummya, and quite different in the hilt than most I have seen. I just thought I would add a few notes on them that I have found interesting in earlier research and discussions
The koummya is a fascinating weapon, especially in its reflection of influences of other cultures that have come into regions of the Maghreb. It has been suggested that the arched pommel may be traced back to traders from Venice and the distinctive swords known as cinqueda, however this suggestion may be best considered apocryphal, but one can see the clear similarity to many of those pommels.

The scabbard design appears to derive of course from the Arabian janbiyya, with the recurved tip and the bulb at the end (as seen on most Omani examples).

Concerning this example, I am unclear whether this blade would be Spanish, however it would seem that cross marking is intended to allude to that influence. This type cross, in what appears stylized interpretation clearly resembles the 'crusaders cross' of medieval times, which became the Santiago cross in Spain. Although not distinctly known as a makers mark, it is known to have appeared on swords and armor in Switzerland (as early as 12th c.) and in Spain as well as in Germany. It seems that typically it has appeared on early Spanish swords
often in groupings of four (early Hispano-Moresque 'jineta').

I am not sure that there are distinct 'tribal' symbols among the many Berber tribes, as it seems most geometric and cosmological motif and decoration is applied somewhat generally in accordance to local folk religion and associated superstitious beliefs.

If anyone has studied the anthropology of the Berbers I would very much like to know if such tribal symbolism does exist.

I believe that the cross symbol has been added to this blade, as is so often the case in North African edged weapons, to imbue the weapon with the virtues of the much desired European blades.

The very attractive vertically fluted horn grips remind me of early French sabres of Napoleonic period that often had these ebony grips. I cannot I can recall seeing them on koumyya. Anyone out there have other examples ?

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote