View Single Post
Old 4th May 2010, 05:08 AM   #18
ThePepperSkull

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
New?? If you mean the last 12 yrs or so.., then no, before that I don't know.
I'd say within the past 40? Just a ballpark guess.

I say this because of four reasons:

1) the kakatua pommel seems to be quite large in proportion to the blade. Usually if this is the case, then it is in a junggayan kris/a kris with a more decorative pommel (perhaps covered in silver or swassa or made of ivory) from my observations.

2) The grain of wood does not seem to be burled or have a curly/unusual grain. It seems like a regular piece of wood to me. Very nice contrast, and still very well-executed, but it seems to me that if wood were used on a blade as fine as this (at the tme of making), it would be some type of burled or harder to obtain wood/material.

3) The carving on the side of the kakatua seems to match those of more recent manufature. namely how tall it is as it "bottoms out" if that makes any sense. (from the swirl at the top crest region to the beginning of the grip wrap seems longer, like I see on newer kris)

4) The finish on the pommel looks to be some sort of thicker laquer than I see on typically older pommels. Maybe some sort of modern shellac like we see on more contemporary moro swords.

Of course, these are all just personal assessments, so I could be wrong. Those features about the pommel just stood out to me. If it is a restoration, it was obviously done with care. Whoever restored it/replaced the pommel looks like they knew how well the blade was made and cared for. The blade is definitely an old piece.

In any case, it is still a DAMN fine specimen that I am very envious of. This is absolutely wonderful!

Can anyone estimate a date/region of manufacture for this particular blade? Sulu perhaps (just throwing that out there)?

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 4th May 2010 at 05:22 AM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote