View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:08 PM   #33
A. G. Maisey

Thanks for your explanation Marco. "uli" is Balinese? So, this would be the same as "akar", or "root" ? So you are talking about the the talismanic coral roots that are used in Bali ? Is this correct?

Yes, I changed the original photos I had up. The original photos were scans of ten year old negatives, the new photos were done last weekend. There is no doubt that the work in this gold handle is superb. I have a collection of something over 1000 keris hilts, and I have seen and handled many more than this, and in my opinion this gold handle is the best I have ever personally handled, or seen. I am not including hilts of which I have seen photographs, as a photo can often fail to tell the whole story. Moreover, as I have already said, three other people who are regarded as authorities in Asian art, two of whom have an international reputation, have appraised this hilt as one of the finest in existence.If the quality is not obvious to you, then we must hold my inadequate skills with the camera at fault.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote