View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2005, 04:53 PM   #29
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
Sorry Martin, i didn't see your post til just now. Yes, your keris is of a similar dapor, but just as we were saying about different quality levels of modern blades i think you can probably see that yours is somewhat inferior to Alam's example.
Mans' kerises have less fancy dapur, but I don't think all of them can be said to be inferior.

The 2nd picture from the top -- that is a very graceful and balanced keris that does not lose out to the karna tinanding, which I think is a nice one too.

Look at the way the kembang kacang progresses from thick to thin before curling in -- its just 'manis' (ok, the final curled tip is a bit disappointing, but still the overal kembang kacang is very well-executed). Notice that both sides of the kembang kacang are not 'flat' at the top; there is a slight concave contour to it. This feature is much better than the karna tinanding's

The jalen and the lambei gajah, and the gandik under the jalen curls very nicely, and are not too long, not too stubby. I feel that this set of features are thus nicer than the karna tinanding's rather exaggerated ones.

The sogokan depan and belakang, in my opinion, are about as nice as the karna tinanding's, though still a bit stiff. Nice fat bungkul too.

The ganja is better though, especially in terms of the definition of the greneng, the length in proportion to the base, and the curve at the end.

Luk-wise, the keris looks proportionate and sweet.

And hey, pamor is condense and very well executed too.

Personally, I'd prefer this keris to the karna tinanding, although if presented with the chance to acquire the karna tinanding, I would grab it too!
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote