View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2015, 04:03 PM   #23
kronckew

it arrived a n hour or so ago. the brass bands slid off fairly easily. odd - they had a layer of newspaper under them - i guess to tighten them a bit. the odd turks head band is not leather, it's rattan. kris weighs 668 grams w/o the scabbard. feels very good in the hand. well balance and not tip heavy.

the pommel piece was dangling loosely by a thread of leather, so i replaced it with a bit of twisted silver wire. it is silver plated brass sheet metal.

the baca baca are firmly attached to the hilt, which is firmly attached to the blade. the baca baca are a bit loose on the blade and can move towards the centre a bit if i press on the sides along the bolster. might fix that when i re-wrap.

the ganja is definitely different metal. the blade is by comparison grey and the ganja looks quite like silver in comparison. it was a bit grungy so i cleaned it with a rag & some soap & hot water, rinsed, dried. the baca-baca also looks like they are silver. some hammer dent marks where the baca were fitted to the ganja do not expose any base metal, so they are not plated.

- newsflash. they are NOT aluminum and neither is the ganja, which has some black tarnish. i think they are in fact silver. the ganja and the baca are not magnetic!

took pics attached, oiled it.

cleaned & oiled the wood scabbard & added a trio of quick temp. turks heads in black cord to tide me over till i can organise a brass band or three. may add a fourth in a few min. nearer the end than the old one. took some pics with my mobile phone. and added that last band below the old rattan one. i can see what looks like a 'hamon around the edges of the blade which is slightly darker in the middle. there appears to be a small forging flaw on one side.

edited:
STOP THE PRESSES! - did a chemical test on the baca baca and the ganja - they are SILVER!
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 22nd May 2015 at 05:27 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote