Thread: Old Kaskara
View Single Post
Old 29th June 2019, 12:42 AM   #4
Edster

Ariel,

At first blush I'd say authentic Kull, but. While the marks look factory struck, other knowledgeable members may know if Kull put copper/gold inlays ion their marked trade blades. The inlays could have been added beyond Solingen. The cross & orb looks upside down. I'm not aware of the short fat fullers on Kassala blades. They were common on European blades for hundreds of years. But the blade has a relatively sharp point which I'm beginning to think is a more local attribute than Solingen. But the blade could have been sharpened later. If I had to say yea or nay, I'd go with Kull at this point.

The cross guard looks fine and not one of the one-piece, post-1940-something. You might check for an incomplete forge weld on the bottom just to be sure. It's hard to date crossguards due to the various skill of their makers, but is likely at least early 20th C., perhaps older.

I agree with DavidR on the leather covered pommel disk. Very common to have such when a new sword leaves the souk. I think the string cover is a later addition, but often seen. I would think you can get goat skin twine from an on-line leather supply. The finish is likely lanolin, dirt and hand sweat.

Best regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote