View Single Post
Old 31st March 2005, 02:00 AM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Mike,
Thanks very much for the kind words, and for the support on my thinking on many of these weapons. One of the biggest problems with the commonly held views and perspective on many ethnographic weapons is the failure to understand the symbolism and meanings imbued in the weapons themselves.

I think this is one of the most important features of Dr. Robert Elgood's new book "Hindu Arms & Ritual". In this he reveals important perspective and facts about these very topics..how those who used the weapons actually perceived them and why. Until now, the weapons of India were always simply catalogued in the manner of most European weapons, typologically and and with categoric comparisons, with little consideration or depth concerning uses or meanings. However there were often unfortunately comments best classified as romanticized misperception, much seen with many ethnographic weapons of virtually all types....for example the broadly used 'executioner' label etc.

I think all ethnographic weapons must be considered with this same thinking, and with that perception which students of the keris have already long established, the subjective symbolism imbued in the weapons themselves.

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 31st March 2005 at 02:34 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote