View Single Post
Old 28th March 2005, 06:23 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree with Tom in that the hilt on this example seems a bit empty in the crossguard's blade receiving aperture, and clearly this suggests remounting with less than regular skill. I can't really tell much on the sword overall as far as size with such close detail without overall photos, is this supposed to be a kaskara or a large knife/dagger? The thuluth etching is of course consistant with Sudanese items of latter 19th c. during the Mahdia period, but carried into early 20th c. also.
The scabbard and mounts seem of most likely waran (monitor lizard) hide, and are often found on Sudanese knives and daggers.
The thing on these North African edged weapons is that they are still very much a component of everyday costume in most regions, especially in the more remote areas. Therefore it seems quite plausible that weapons were refitted for continued use by often less than skilled tribal owners, and that rather rough items like this have a certain virtue of being authentic tribal pieces even though relatively recent (within last 40 years or more).

Concerning the use of crocodile hides, it seems that a small amount of crocodile hide is often a component of the kaskara hilts in Darfur, and in these regions were primary centers of slaving activity. There is a great deal of fear and respect held toward these reptiles and it seems a degree of totemism in some cases. This was expressed to me in discussion with a man who was a Fur from El Fasher and noted such significance in decoration of weapons. I once suggested that a kaskara seen fully mounted in crocodile hide may have associations with simply looking fearful in the dramatic sense in such troubled regions as involved in the unfortunate commerce of slaving, which has remained a problem even to present times. I also considered that the totemic value may be associated with Beja tribes to the east such as the Beit Ma'ila (Ad Alma=people of the crocodile) and such dramatic motif may be for ceremonial wear. Although these seemed to be plausible enough theories, they were met with pretty negative response and the usual 'tourist piece' rheotoric, and no worthwhile discussion ensued.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote