View Single Post
Old 14th June 2015, 11:32 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Wayne:

Very nice example of an Indonesian version of the Dutch military klewang done up as a European style hunting sword. Congratulations on a good find. Although there are a few of these around, this is a really nice one. I like the brass beetles on the hilt and the one on the throat of the scabbard--very nice touches.

The fittings on these are usually brass, so the white metal (silver?) ferrule is a bit out of place, especially given that the other ferrule on the hilt appears to be brass and there are brass mounts on the scabbard. The white metal ferrule might be a replacement and this would be an easy change to make since the tang on these swords is threaded and the small nut on the butt of the hilt unscrews, readily allowing the whole hilt and guard to be unmounted quite simply.

I would be interested to know what you think the horn handle might be from. These are often a type of stag horn rather than from buffalo, and I wonder whether yours is also stag that has been rounded, carved and blackened--you may be able to tell by removing the hilt and examining the ends and insides of the horn.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote