View Single Post
Old 24th December 2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

This is a better than usual complete example of a type typically seen.

I suspect these was a very large factory making these swords as they are known in very large volumes and seen often.
All have the same heavy blade type, all iron fittings with the fittings and scabbard covering always in black. the scabbard is always to my eye stitches as this is too.
I have never seen traditional binding on any hilts except those that are restored.
They are larger and heavier than the Banner men sabres I have seen and the presence of the cup guard in my opinion suggests a manufacture for civilian forces, perhaps Boxers? I do not know with accuracy.

This example will no doubt grade up very well with a little well placed care but do keep all the outer appearance black.
I would suggest approach the blade only for cleaning, just oil the fittings and do not remove their patination. Take the movement out of the cup guard and bind the hilt in a traditional manner.
Peter Dekker could handle the grip wrapping or at least supply the correct material and you could follow the instructions he has published in PDF format.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote