View Single Post
Old 1st December 2005, 06:14 PM   #20
zelbone

...well....I'll say it again

I wouldn't get hung up on terminology...it's a moot point. Even for us "native" Visayans (er...haf Visayan ) it's confusing. I learned that firsthand myself in the Visayas...exposed to 4 different dialects...just 4!

LabanTayo said something to us last night during silat practice that was relative..."you could learn a thousand ways to punch, but in the end a punch is just a punch."

...same as a sword is just a sword.

And in the Visayas, it really doesn't matter what a sword is called when one is pointed at you...all that matters then is the sword you have in your hand and your confidence in you're ability to use it.

That is what Visayan swords are all about...the reality of it...they are just instruments of death...

...and it's not that we (i.e. the Filipino members here) cannot agree to proper taxonomy on this issue...but it's more out of respect for each others dialect/culture/heritage. The last thing a Filipino wants to do is offend another Filipino. As I've said before offending another Filipino usually ends up with drawn swords....thinks about...why are there so many different Filipino swords ?

...as for sniping

I understand eBay is fair game...it's an auction. But, if I see another forum member bidding on something, I usually leave it alone or at least email that person to work out a deal. We each have our own niche and most of us know each other's niche. But what really upsets me is to be sniped by someone here and then have them post it and ask for MY opinion. I've been called out on several threads lately as an "expert" on certain pieces that I've been sniped on. Do you guys really think I will say anything then? I may be the one with the "answers" but sniping me and then posting them here won't get those "answers" from me.