View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:42 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Teodor,
Very well made points, and certainly well placed, as always consistant with your keen observations. What you say is indeed compelling, but it seems we are somewhat at odds in our perspectives, and its always good to review what we know on these interesting swords.

The flyssa is one of the number of anomalies in the world of swords, which seems to be a relative newcomer. As mentioned, it is first noted by this term in a 1827 emissary's record, but we cannot be sure of the exact style or appearance of the sword itself. We know that by the 1850's it had taken the familiar form with the strange 'camel' ? head, the geometric designs and linear 'fibula' arrangements along the blade back. This decorative motif seems to have been relatively consistant, with the triangular fibula patterns and other geometric design in the hilt as well as on the blade and scabbard.

There have been suggestions that the flyssa evolved from Meditteranean swords of form from ancient times, typically the machaira. The problem with this theory is there is no developmental chronology or line of prototype or transitional weapons, at least that I am aware of. There has been a great deal of agreement that the earlier form of Turkish yataghan of the blade form of 16th century (Suleyman) may well have inflenced the blade profile. These were essentially straight back with recurve and deep belly on the blade edge.
Obviously there is a disparity of about a century or two, but these type 'yataghans' seem to have remained in service for a very long time, not at all unusual for traditional weapons.

Then there is the question of the mail piercing needle point blade, which seems characteristic on these long sword blades of mid 19th century. This particular feature seems to correspond to most probably Caucasian, then Transcaucasian influence as these type blades are known on 17th century Tatar sabres (ordynka) and seem to have developed in the 19th century on the (dare I say it) Black Sea yataghans from Anatolian regions.

The Ottoman Empire relied greatly on conscripts from Caucasian regions, and it is well known that their forces often had elements of various ethnic groups from these regions. It does not seem unlikely that these blade features may well have become amalgamated in what became the flyssa, produced by the skilled armourers of the Iflysen tribes of Berbers.

I am wondering if this is a prototype or transitional weapon, which led to the development of the very decorative and distinctly styled flyssa most commonly found in collections, why would the stylized hilt seem to be a vestigial interpretation of the 'camel head'? The fibular motif also seems to be a reflective interpretation of that seen on regular flyssas with more of a temporal expression than defined image of key apotropaic devices.

This does seem very much a functional, well balanced blade, which would make the earlier attribution seem quite reasonable, but my questions are with the interpretive and vestigial nature of the decoration and hilt. I would point out that in North Africa, swords remain very much in use into present times.
There was considerable rebellion and warfare against French dominion in these regions in the 1960's including Kabylia. Perhaps a sword made carrying traditional style would have been quite important to a participating warrior?

Different perspectives yes, but these are the things I am thinking of, and again, whatever the case, it is a wonderful example to be proud of.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote