View Single Post
Old 29th July 2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Jos,
This attractive piece is actually a Chinese dadao which appears to have been remounted in the 19th century, much as many of these were. The blade does appear to have good age to it, and Im unclear on the copper inlaid markings which seem very unusual on these. The gold colored mounts are also extremely atypical for these, which usually had simple iron mounts, and I have never seen one of the ring pommels with this unusual shape.

It is a common western perception to term most of these heavy bladed Chinese swords 'execution swords' which became an almost cliche' during colonial activity there on the latter 19th and into early 20th century. These swords, with the heavy 'oxtail' type blades were used exclusively by civilian martial artists, and dramatic demonstrations by these martial artists, especially during the "Boxer Rebellion" of 1900 lent more to these perceptions.

It would be great to see some close ups of the blade, and know more on these copper (?) inlays, where they are positioned. This old blade seems quite deliberately decorated and perhaps was refurbished in this manner for some votive or ceremonial purpose. As always I look forward to comments from those more experienced with Chinese weapons.

Also Jos, I'd like to welcome you to our forums, and I'm really glad you joined us. Your website is extremely impressive! Very nicely done. I'm sure you will enjoy discussions with a number of the members here who extremely interested in African weapons as well. It is always great to add to the fantastic core of knowledge we have enjoyed here in discussing these intriguing weapons.

We presently have a thread going on some mysterious markings on a kaskara, which is developing into a more in depth look into the markings found on the blades of these Sudanese swords. I would really appreciate your input, and if you might add your insight by sharing examples you may have encountered.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote