View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2014, 07:03 PM   #10
theswordcollector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlassCollector
I missed this post too, so thanks Mark for bumping it up.

I have a similar blade with similar marks. On the reverse side it is marked HARVEY in a deep rectangular cartouche. It also has the faint remains of GR in fancy script. This dates it to between 1748 and 1795 when Harvey made government swords.

I think of it as an officer's fighting sword rather than pure cutlass as the blade is very light and 'fast'.

You can see it still has the cylindrical cast iron grip but unfortunately the guard has been lost and it has a crudely made stirrup replacement. Shipboard repair or captured and re-used in America - anyone's guess.

As Mark says the wood grip on yours shouts American made and also that the blade may have come from Europe. I also agree that the slot is for the wrist lanyard - most Brit pattern cutlass had them in the same place.

Great sword and a good find - wish mine had the double disk still!

Regards,
CC
Great example ! Thank you for your kind compliments also :-) My cutlass marks are very similar to yours along with the fuller, very interesting comparison :-). I have always felt this was an American assembled piece it is the main reason why I acquired it. Thank you for sharing your wonderful and interesting example double disk or not your example has allot of character and is quite unique . We can only imagine the history these pieces have survived.
theswordcollector is offline   Reply With Quote