View Single Post
Old 9th September 2012, 05:22 PM   #19
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Rick, thank you for your help and welcome to the "what have I gotten myself into now" thread. Including this one and the one that you pointed out I have now seen 4 examples of panabas with this style of blade. This is the only one with this particular style hilt although one did have a plain round handle while the other two had the more traditional faceted style of hilt carving. One other thing that I do remember about the others is that all of them were said to date to the first thirty or so years of the twentieth century. This one, who knows. It could have been made last month for all I know about it. I have spent the last more than few hours searching the forum and internet for pictures of panabas and while I have not located any more with this style of blade I was quite fascinated to find out how many different blade and hilt styles there actually are. I still cannot locate the reference source where I read about this blade shape and what it is supposed to represent or the picture of the other hilt similar to this but I am still looking. Again, thank you for your help and opinions on this.

Regards,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote