View Single Post
Old 7th September 2012, 06:44 AM   #16
T. Koch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
.... As for the butt cap, the seller indicated in his description that it was buffalo horn though the small knob at the end looks more like some type of ivory to me and is very possible that I am totally wrong about its composition.

Regards,
Robert

Hi Robert and thank you for sharing your new joy! The end cap is not made from horn at all. The very tip or 'nipple' certainly looks to be elephant ivory. The white disc itself, is not so easily identifiable, but from the dense look of it, I'd estimate it to be ivory too, although it also could be bone. If you could get some macro's of it, I should be able to tell for sure.

*All you veterans*: Regarding the fittings looking new - how on earth do you tell? Or is it one of those things that come with experience and handling? I am asking because, to my naive eyes, the silver ferrule looks to be, what I would think is genuinely worn, with the pattern partially erased over time? Has this been artificially worn then?

I might soon be looking to buy my first barung, so it would be very nice to know before then!

All the best, - Thor
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote