View Single Post
Old 16th April 2023, 05:04 PM   #12
kai

Hello Ian,

Quote:
This does not look Mandayan to me. The hilt would be highly unusual,
Yes, it is. However it does not help unless we find a provenanced example to align it with: For the time being, just ignore it and focus on the blade, please.

Quote:
as would the inscribed blade.
Yes, the engraved "bolster" is unusual; as you are aware, some Visayan blades exhibit varying amounts of engraving or sculpturing at their (often widening) bases. The shallow fuller is unusual, too.

Quote:
Also, the blade lacks the little "nubbin" along the cutting edge where it angles down sharply.

Incidentally, I think the right hand sword in Carlos' picture of five is Mandayan, showing the typical hilt form and blade with (what I think) is that small "nubbin" on the edge.
Indeed, the latter is a good Mandaya example including the blade with "central" ridge (which not all Mandaya blades exhibit). I feel that placing the blade under discussion next to it is a good idea: Especially considering the kink in the blade and its flared base.

There are several Mandaya subgroups and neighbouring groups. Linguistically, Mandayan languages are linked to a few neighbouring Lumad groups and, less closely, Visayan groups.

Quote:
There's a lot of Visayan odd deity hilts but I've not seen one like this, especially with curly hair. It's sort of reminiscent of a Sinhalese lion with that curly mane.
It's certainly not one of the major types. While this strongly curled hair can be also seen with some Indonesian groups, I'd be inclined to believe we might see some Chinese influence here.

Quote:
The resemblance seems vague to me and I don't know of any hilt forms like that in northern Luzon.
For the time being, we have no convincing contender for this hilt.

Dipalata blades don't have the widening at the base nor the kink in the blade; the round guard crafted from steel or horn is more widely shared though.

Establishing a possible link between these will prove to be much harder since this would refer back to a way earlier period.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote