View Single Post
Old 13th July 2020, 11:48 AM   #7
Mickey the Finn

I've seen this photo before. Castro " fingers the blade" like no-one should ever do. This is the image which causes me to shudder at the thought of gifting a golok, parang, or pisau (to say nothing of a keris) to any white person or Westerner.
Mr. Maisey:
Quote:
The Balinese "keris ring" is called wewer or uwer, uwer is probably more correct.
Do you mean that "uwer", or "ooh-wer" ["ooh-wer" is how I pronounce the word Romanized as "uwer", stress on the second syllable; if this is not phonetically correct, please correct me, and quickly] is more correct with respect to proper Basa Bali usage and/or pronunciation than is "wewer"? Or do you mean that "uwer" is probably more correct with respect to how the word ought to be pronounced and/or written, in comparison to the manner it is written and/or pronounced currently? Could you post "uwer" in Aksara Bali, and in any other scripts you think might be pertinent (Kawi might be more understandable than IPA)? When I was about six years old, I gave up trying to convince Anglophones that there is a right way and a wrong way to pronounce and transcribe vowels.
[איך קען נישט וויסן אויב עס איז אַ דיסטינגקשאַן צווישן דעם און די פריערדיקע קשיא.] פֿאַר אַ תּלמיד פון געזעץ און פסוק, די גענוי אויסלייג און פּראָונאַנסייישאַן פון ווערטער איז די חילוק צווישן "ריכטיק" און "פאַלש." איר פּרובירן צו דערקלערן צו אַ נאַריש עדות אין פּראָצעס אַז זי מוזן איבערחזרן די ווערטער גערעדט דורך אַ דריט פּאַרטיי, און נישט די טייַטש וואָס זי מיינט אַז די דריט פּאַרטיי בדעה אָדער מענט צו יבערגעבן. דאָס איז געווען אַ פאַרפאַלן פאַל, אין דעם פאַל איך טראַכטן פון. איך כאָשעד איר זענט מער דיסערנינג.
Mickey the Finn is offline   Reply With Quote