View Single Post
Old 25th April 2015, 09:33 PM   #12
S.Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_w
I am not sure I understand Fernando K. Do you think the grip is made from a turtle carapace (upper shell), or some imitation?

The grip seems to be all of one piece, with two carved out raised areas and lines inscribed along the length of each side. There are a few holes, cracks, and blemishes.
I think he means that it is not real tortoiseshell, but an imitation. The only imitation for tortoiseshell is plastic, which I don't think this is because plastic doesn't crack in that way, and the blade is too old for plastic. Also, insects don't care for plastic, and it does appear that a horn worm (a beetle larva actually, I think they are) has been at this piece. Its the little hole that looks like it has dust or grains in it. Again, I can't be absolutely sure on my tortoiseshell thesis from a photo, but horn usually doesn't have the planar, angular color lines in it as this piece does. Color in horn is usually more like whorls or streaks. Of course, thats my understanding of buffalo or other bovid horn, perhaps this could be some kind of antelope horn or something.
Edit: on looking at your excellent photo of the grip, I think its cow horn, so I retract my tortoiseshell idea.
S.Workman is offline   Reply With Quote