View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017, 06:13 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

David, I would most gently suggest that almost all writing on the keris is open to question, and that is why in most cases we express our opinions, rather than hard facts.

In respect of the article in question, there is a lot there that very few people are equipped to debate, and even if there is somebody who feels that he can debate the content, what solid evidence can he use to back up that debate?

I suggest that all anybody can do is to state an opposing opinion and quote somebody else's opposing opinion to support his own argument. Even where somebody who has personal experience of a matter can contradict something that has been written this still becomes an unsupported argument.

Kai would like to see academic standards, or journalistic standards maintained. So each time I write something that nobody else is aware of, I need to cite a reference, or perhaps supply photographs? Sorry, the best I can do in most cases is just to tell stories or give opinions, and since we are a friendly little group here, I personally feel that this is sufficient.

I am not suggesting that we should not discuss this article, or anything else for that matter, but I personally would draw the line at criticism of this article.

I did state an opinion though:-

"--- I personally regard it as a useful addition to the keris literature."
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote