View Single Post
Old 27th April 2017, 01:51 AM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Green:

Battara has nailed this one for you. Maguindanao, late 19th-early 20th C. I have seen similar upturned gangya on other Maguindanao kris, and this may not be an area of damage on your friend's sword.

I'm attaching pics of two of my kris that come from Lumad tribes (non-Christian/non-Muslim) of southern and eastern Mindanao. I believe the first one is most likely from the Bagobo/Tagakaolu people (perhaps Craig can help identify more precisely the ikat designs on the fabrics wrapping the scabbards). The second one may be T'boli (again Craig could perhaps give us a clearer reading). Each of these kris blades bears characteristics of Maguindanao manufacture, and seem to be of similar age to your friend's example. Each one also has the same little upturned end of the gangya.

The scabbards are similar to Maguindanao wooden scabbards of the same period, although the ikat decorated cloth bindings look Lumad in design and execution. Moro pieces are rarely decorated in this manner.

Given the odd looking pommel on your friend's sword, I wonder if his too might have come from one of the non-Moro tribal groups of Mindanao. Just a thought and I would appreciate hearing what others think.

Ian.

-------------------Attachments--------------------

Bagobo kris
T'boli (?) kris

Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 27th April 2017 at 02:03 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote