View Single Post
Old 11th September 2006, 07:21 AM   #26
Boedhi Adhitya

Despite what traditional keris 'scholars' in Java said, IMHO, keris is a deadly weapon. From the very start, that is the keris making process, what empu really do is making a fine weapons, and plus, plus, plus some more intentions, of course. But even there are many intentions, it's 'weapon construction' had never changed. It's layering construction is technologicaly the best construction possible, called Jia Gang by Chinese Jian smith or Sanmai by Japanese Katana/Nihonto smith. The 'Wasuh' process, is the purifying process also done by Chinese and Japanese smith. The 'Flaw' categorizing in Javanese keris such as Pegat Waja, Pegat Pamor, broken tang, etc also reflected the weapon assesment (such as Kizu in Katana), which then extended to symbolism and spiritual meaning. It is the Javanese cultural tendency to extend almost anything to symbolism and spiritual realm. IMHO, the development of keris symbolism would be paralel to the development of ricikans, dhapurs, and pamor motifs.

Because of it's relatively small/short blades, it never became main weapon for javanese soldier. As a weapon, keris should be considered as today's bayonet. It is, as already stated, a last resort weapon, before you use the bare hand. As the last resort, it should vanish any enemy you encounter (or they may vanish you ). IMHO, Those who use keris as a weapon should 'hide' the blade to 'invite' the enemy to come closer, rather than to exhibit it in a threatening pose. Considering it's relatively small tang, ones shouldn't slash or parry opponent's weapon with (Javanese) keris. Stabbing, or occasionally slicing/cutting opponent's hand, are the prefered ways. To use the warangka as a forearm protection, the elders said, ones should hold the longest wooden section in his palm, and let the gandar/pendok cover the outer forearm through the elbow. Using iron pendok, it is a sufficient, expedient forearm protection one may use to parry opponent's weapon. By using the sharp, protruding part of ladrang style sheath, ones may even use the warangka as an offensive weapon. But unfortunately, no written traditional book on using keris as a weapon ever wrote.

As already stated, no main Javanese Silat school such as Setia Hati Terate, Perisai Diri, Merpati Putih or Tapak Suci has keris jurus, as long as I remember. The Maduras Pamur school, while it use keris as it's school symbol, has it neither. If I were a Javanese soldier in old days, I would bring lance/tombak or firearm, a pedang, and two keris: a sturdy, straight one in front as my last resort, and the old one on my back as my guardian angel . A good keris then, should fulfill the functional(weapon), aesthetical, and symbolic/spiritual requirements.

There were a murder case in Jogjakarta, where the murderer use his heirloom keris and stabb the victim on the buttock. The victim died after several hours hospitalized. Well, Gentlemen, please use your another 'poisonous keris' when you're fighting with your wife I shouldn't tell where you should stabb her, should I ?

Best Regards,

boedhi adhitya
Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote