View Single Post
Old 28th May 2011, 06:39 AM   #1
ThePepperSkull

Default Round-pommeled Moro Kris. Maguindanao?

Hello all,

I recently recieved this kris and am wondering about a few things.

First off, the pommel shape is a little bit unusual (but I think I recall seeing one similar in Cato's Moro Swords and am wondering if this is a traditional form or is it may have been recycled from something else? it appears to be brass or bronze. maybe Copper. I am not sure which. Judging by the shape it may have once been a door knob?

the laquer on the wrap is faded/chipped offf some, but it is completely in tact which I think is fantastic.

I believe the metal collar on the handle is silver but am not so sure about the baca-baca. both have a predominantly grey patina with some deep black. Is that how silver ages/tarnishes?

Based on the elephant mouth opening I'd say it's maguindanao. Is that about right?

How old is this? I would like to think it's early 1900's but approximating the ages of kris come more easily to me when it's a Sulu piece. Mindanao pieces are more confusing to my eyes.

There are weld lines and lines of patina that would indicate a separate core. Hopefully twistcore. Have piece like these been known to demonstrate twistcore?

Either way it's a nice piece and I'm glad to have it.

I will have my own pictures up by monday with clearer images of the fittings and the pommel for you all to determine the material, as well as clearer pictures of the weld lines and patination that I believe demonstrates this as having a twistcore.

For now though, here are the pics that the seller provided.
Attached Images

ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote