Thread: King of Navajas
View Single Post
Old 28th January 2008, 08:59 AM   #15
Chris Evans

Hi Gavin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Outstanding Chris, I knew you'd come through with some references.

Very interesting to see the 3 very different styles and that cutlers were still having a go at Navaja of huge proportions in modern times.

The image I see in the 1908 photo looks very much like a 1.76metre Navaja that sold last year in the US. I guess everyone would be plucking at straws with the questions I am about to ask, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. How many of these over sized Navaja do you think existed in the 1800/early1900s, considering the decline in sales, would they still be considered a banned item under Spanish law at this huge size and is there any reference anywhere as to where these first started to appear in these proportions?

very best regards

Gavin
You pose an excellent question.

I don't have a complete answer, but we know that navajas like yours were made in the 1800 (from style and workmanship) and that quite a number of oversized (to be practical) pieces from the 19th century are being held in collections and offered for sale every now and then.

Perhaps it would help if we divided show piece navajas into two groups; Those that conceivably could have been used, but were not, on account of excessive weakness, price and weight, say blades ranging from 12" to 20" and those whose dimensions were so great that they could only be dedicated display pieces. Of the first lot, quite a number must have been made because they keep turning up regularly. As for the dedicated display specimens, probably very few, because there were not that many cutlers of renown over the last 150yrs.

However... I did say to you in an e-mail, that there was a roaring trade in the late 1800s for decoration weapons in Western Europe. These were sought by the better heeled of the newly emerging wealthy and everything from medieval swords to rapiers and armour were made to satisfy this demand, some of quite high quality. I have a strong feeling that the Spanish cutlers also catered for this clientele with navajas that looked good but were never intended for use and suspect that some of the bigger ones were squarely aimed at this market. I know that some very large navajas were being still made in the 70s, navajas that had no other function than to decorate.

As for the attitude of the law re these exageratios, I am inclined to believe that they simply ignored them as they did not pose a threat to law and order. I find it significant that despite regular crackdowns, in Southern Spain the cutlery industry was selling lockable navajas of all sizes, whereas in other parts of the country lock-less friction folders (Taramundi type) or demi-locks (French style) were normative. This suggests to me that the authorities were more tolerant in the South because of the economic importance of the industry.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote