Thread: King of Navajas
View Single Post
Old 27th January 2008, 04:11 PM   #2
cylord21

It is an Spanish “navaja”, these type of navajas were made mostly between the 18 and 19 century, usually they have inscriptions on them and sometimes filled with enamel paint, see http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001357.html. Most famous production locations were Albacete, Santa Cruz de Mudena, Jerez de la Frontera and Sevilla. There are navajas from Sevilla with the same type of work that the one you show here has on the beginning of the blade and the one from Albacete have an internal locking mechanism (see the difference from the one on the link, supoused to be from Santa Cruz as i been told they have a totally external locking mechnism). These navajas are a difficult subject that requires an expert to identify location and period but it should be from one of the four mentioned locations. As for the size I have seen a picture of a beautiful navaja from sevilla that measures 261 cm when open (about 102 and ¾ inches). Mine was supposed to be the biggest , your is bigger than mine and the one from sevilla is humungous , I wonder what’s out there. Whatever the size this are nice display weapons to have and they do make a fine conversation piece even for those who are not into blade collection .
cylord21 is offline   Reply With Quote