View Single Post
Old 18th April 2015, 05:14 PM   #25
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
As stated before, I have extreme doubts as to the existence of a "powder chamber". IF one exists how does one see that it is filled to the CORRECT level?? On pistols with turnoff barrels one can see how full the chamber is...........
Stu
Hi Stu. I'm finally back home and the computer is fixed. LOL Thanks for your PM correspondence.
OH! I so hope you are right that there is NOT a powder chamber. As you mention, it would be difficult to know how much powder to use. You would want to make sure the chamber is full. Otherwise the load could end up a bore obstruction. Maybe all of the larger breech area just contains the iron filler up to where the actual bore size begins? Hmmm.. But I think I know how to find out for sure. I'll use my tiny bore light with a wire and run it down to the end of the barrel and view. I have wood ramrods/cleaning rods that are 57" long and various sizes of cleaning jags. So I will run the rod down the barrel as far as it will go and measure the length of the inside of the bore versus the outside length of the barrel. This should tell me the amount of FILL there is in the breech length. Then I'll slowly run a snug cleaning patch down the barrel to see if the resistance is the same for the entire length. Or will the patch become loose at the breech end. I'll report back this weekend. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote