View Single Post
Old 11th April 2015, 09:47 PM   #13
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Stu. Now you have a couple of Torador types to go with the Flask. Off hand, I would agree that you have one variation of a Torador, with the other being Indo/Arab. I'll try to do some research to see if we can pin this down a little closer.
An interesting feature on #1: It still retains it's vent pick and chain, and a curious metal piece with a cone shape on one end that I've only seen once before. I've never really known what the purpose is for the cone shaped lever. Hmmm. I have to guesses: 1). Possibly used to extinguish a lit match? Or 2). Maybe to carry a small amount of tinder to make fire to light the match?
Any other ideas? Rick.
Hi Rick,
I agree with your comments that #1 is probably Indo/Arab, and the other a Torador type.
The restoration and cleaning of #1 is well underway and I should be able to get things finished in the next week or so. Will post pics then.
As you say the vent pricker is still present. The cone shaped piece is for holding the hot end of the match. As it has no holes in it, I am thinking it is to extinguish a lighted match. I have attached a pic of a matchholder on my Omani matchlock. You can see it is a double one....one for extinguishing, and the vented one for holding a lighted match.
Now to your comment about the barrel. There is no evidence that I can see, that there is a breech plug on mine....certainly not a screwed one. So IF one exists then I agree that it is probably shrunk in. I have not heard about these having a powder chamber. I am aware that these do exist, but have only seen them in pistols with a screw off barrel, and never on long guns. Once I get the bore clean enough, I will have a good look with my bore light.
Keep you posted as things progress.
Stu
P.S. Meant to say that the stock is in one piece apart from the "insert" behind the match hammer.
Attached Images

Last edited by kahnjar1; 11th April 2015 at 10:09 PM.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote