View Single Post
Old 27th March 2019, 04:58 PM   #28
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually it is quite true that Victrix has a very astutely suggested observation toward the translation in gold on the blade, in that it may well be a faux Arabic lettering as has been known in not only Hungarian but other European swords of this kind of representative character.

While it seems clear that none of us participating are linguists, above all myself, we all agree that this sword posted by Corrado is an intriguing example and the ensuing 'discussion' that has so tickled David is actually some pretty interesting and constructive interaction which is keenly pertinent.

Although no linguistically skilled reader has stepped forward as requested, those of us here have tried to determine the possible origin and period of the sword in hopes of finding the context which might assess the language (or lack thereof) of the inscription.
This is the very reason we have always asked for a picture of the entire weapon rather than simply the inscription alone.

The discussion became a constructive analysis of the sword pictured by Corrado rather than the often dismal avoidance and lack of entries encountered by readers who altogether too often feel they have nothing to add. I have always greatly appreciated the sometimes lengthy development of a topic in a thread which adds to the context and scope concerning a weapon in discussion, even if wavering from a specific question.

On that note, Ariel, I do understand that two carry rings in European scabbard manner dictate the sword worn edge down.....however this example in the OP, has this carry ring at center of scabbard throat, as in Caucasian manner seen on shashkas as I mentioned. The other carry ring is on the side of the scabbard . The sabre posted by Kubur just previous shows carry rings on the side as you describe and interestingly has an inscription much in the manner of the OP sword and question.

Meanwhile, I do hope that the inscription might be translated by a reader who reads these types of lettering.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote