View Single Post
Old 27th September 2013, 01:28 AM   #1
Antique Arsenal

Default Awesome Hanger Sword for ID and Comments

Recently I have purchased a beautiful hanger sword. The seller stated that it is “18th C. French or Hungarian Hanger Sword Possibly Naval Cutlass”. However, he was not definite of this statement.

I have done research on my own but I was not able to determine some key elements. In one of my catalogues I was able to find a marking of a half moon similar, but not identical to the one on the sword. It did say that this type of marking originated from unknown sword smith in Germany XVII-XVIII century. Also, judging by the condition of the blade itself I thought that this statement might be correct.

The guard and the grip of the sword are of truly beautiful work and they might be from a later period. What I am wondering about is the shape of the guard which I think is a monogram. Possibly royal.

I would like to call to your expertise to find out who's monogram is it and in which county this sword might have been used. Originally I thought that this sword was made for use in Hungry or Poland, but I was never certain. Could you help me with answering these questions? I would appreciate any input you cold provide to me.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Aleks
Attached Images

Antique Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote