View Single Post
Old 25th December 2006, 04:50 PM   #24
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

The quest for the origins of the flyssa as well as the 'Black Sea' yataghan and the possible associations between them has gone on for well beyond the ten plus years that I have been puzzling over them. The similarities were drawn of course as early as 1941 (Jacobsen) and later Seifert (1962).

The curious point on these weapons being so much like those on the Tatar sabres (ordynka) is much too compelling to resist associating them with these sharply pointed swords. The influences of these Tatar weapons were of course no doubt carried with the extensive presence of Circassians in the forces of numerous powers and in many geographic regions.

Concerning the term for these sabres (czeczuga), I am trying to recall the article on Polish sabres by Ostrowski (away from books at the moment). It seems the term may have been with reference to the fishskin grips of these weapons rather than the shape of the blade ? A number of these sabres are with the same hilts but heavier blades without the needle point. Perhaps this might account for the use of term orynka vs. czeczuga?

Returning to the flyssa, it has long been suggested that the 16th century form of yataghan as seen in Suleyman I with widened straight blade had been possible forerunner, and this via Ottomans. While it is true that the Ottomans did not subdue the Kabyles, and controlled primarily the littoral along the Maghreb, there were constant incursions into these regions. The Kabyles seem to have been situated in more mountainous regions, so I am wondering how much cavalry use would have applied to the flyssa.

As far as military sources such as the Foreign Legion, in research some years ago I was hoping to discover early examples of flyssa, and did contact the Foreign Legion museum in France. They hold a provenaced example of flyssa (exactly as form/decoration typically seen) which was captured in a battle with Kabyles in 1857. The only earlier reference to these was I believe 1827 when one was presented diplomatically to an envoy from Spain (though unfortunately denoted by term, no illustration). It seems clear that these, as the BSY, were a very late developing weapon, and there seem to be no prototypical examples to suggest development, which suggests possible atavistic appearance, from earlier weapons.

Earlier references (Jacobsen, Seifert op.cit.) suggest that the 'sapara' may have influenced the recurved blade on the BSY, while there have been many suggestions that Meditteranean weapons such as the ancient machaira may have been the source for the flyssa. In either case, the employment of the needle point seems to apply more to the Circassian/Tatar influence.

What is most unclear about these weapons is thier use. With the BSY, a needle point for thrusting seems absurd with such a recurved blade, and with the flyssa, a thrust with a weapon with small grip and no supporting guard seems equally absurd. It would seem the emphasis would be on slashing cuts, which would be of course ridiculous against mail armor. The use of these weapons remains a complete conundrum.

I am really glad that these discussions came up, and think that excellent observations are being shared on these mysterious weapons!!!

I have always hoped that anyone out there with access to French narratives or Ottoman resources might be able to discover any reference to the Kabyles and the flyssa's use.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote