View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2006, 04:06 AM   #23
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D
Hi Ariel,

Personally, I think it is this point that actually excludes these from being a thrusting weapon. The point is just too fine. Any thing less than a perfectly executed thrust on a lightly armoured target would simply bend the point harmlessly. On the other hand much has been said about how awkward these weapons are, I actually think they are perfectly suited for the slash and handle similar to most sabers.

My 2 cents.
Jeff
Back to Nakov:
Circassians used their bayoneted sabers as spears at the beginning of the fight. There are many native stories and songs as well as accounts of the visitors describing the " thrusting" attack. That is beyond any doubt.
But you are right: Circassian sabers had thickened, ribbed bayoneted points and the handle was bent a little toward the edge. These two features made them efficient "thrusters". The Flyssa, indeed, has neither of those features and can be used only for slashing. On the other hand, many external features of the reinterpreted things (not only weapons) are "lost in translation". The appearance may be retained somewhat but the meaning is forgotten....
Trying to construct a convincing story of the unified origin of various swords is like working on the "unified theory" in physics: fascinating, exciting, but largely... doomed to fail
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote