View Single Post
Old 21st December 2006, 02:35 AM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These are some good rants you guys!!! And an extremely interesting flyssa variant Emanuel! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that gets sleepless over these anomolies.
Ariel, I'd never take you to to task especially not on the neverending BSY/flyssa saga...after all it was you that found the definitive proof of the
transcaucasian/Turkish origins of these unusual swords.

We know that there have been considerable variations seen in swords that have appeared in the North African sphere, with most of the flyssa instances being with the range in size. It does not seem unlikely that a variant with curved shamshir type blade would be out of place, though extremely unusual. As has been noted, the flyssa was a cavalry weapon, though the dynamics of its use in combat have not, as far as I know, ever been described. It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever translated narratives or documention from French forces who fought in Saharan regions and encountered warriors with these swords. As noted, although the estoc type thrust must have been the primary technique, but quite possibly this example suggests a sabre preference for the drawcut, yet maintaining the traditional flyssa decorative style.

The influences of weapons from the Caucusus and Central Asia are actually well established in North Africa, especially via the Ottomans and thier mercenary forces. I have often considered the possible influence of mail piercing blades of Tatar sabres and Caucasian kindjhals on the needle point that became key to the flyssa, and of course the BSY .

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote