View Single Post
Old 11th June 2014, 09:07 PM   #14
derek

Hi David,
Agreed. Belly Dancing swords are normally curved for balancing on the head.

Keep in mind the example in the thread above is off the charts in terms of detail and quality. Artzi has offered a few that were close to that quality in the past, but you don't see them often. Most are of the more average kind.

I have owned 2 other kastanes that are much more typical (still have one) and they are plain by comparison. Still beautiful, but far less ornate. In fact, I saw this week that there is a very typical example on auction now.

I also currently have 25 piha kaetta of various sizes and quality. I started the pihakaetta.com site years ago, when I had time for that stuff
Some are so ornate and delicate that I hate to handle them. Others are more plain and "utilitarian" by comparison. The quality of the work on them also varies - some, not a lot.

Among that lot I have a few I would describe as weirdos. They just don't seem to represent the Sinhalese art form, but one of those was purchased directly from a gallery in Colombo, and the blade is definitely old. Old stuff can't talk, so we play detective, which is half the fun.

Jim, great thread, I was reading through it earlier this week.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
derek is offline   Reply With Quote