View Single Post
Old 4th September 2010, 01:42 PM   #4
BigG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Is this based on the relatively straight blade profile? The base features look quite compatible with a Sumatran origin IMVHO? How well does the blade fit the scabbard?
What I know is as follows; The Minang Origin is based on the overall looks especially that of the fittings. The minangs hav a very distinctive style of their own.
The straight bladed profile of this style is mainly found in the Peninsula, Riau islands and southern Sumatra. It is usually named under the catch all term of a keris Bngkinang by the Javanese. It comes in many stylised forms. Wholly straight such as this or stylised curved blades almost like the curve that you see in a Bugis Sepokal blade.. The distinctive features are at the base... usually wth the comma like feature and the ricikans..

The blade fits the sheath well although there is a bit of lossening, but the this is expected as the cross piece is made out of horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
At 11.5 inches, this blade doesn't seem to be longer than most Anak Alang I've seen. Also, aren't most Bahari from Sumatra and most Anak Alang from the Malay peninsula? (I thought I understood that the B vs. AA classification was more based on blade style rather than on length only?)
From what I have been told.. the Alang family is diffrentiated by the length of the blades. Wth the anak (child) Alang being the shortest. This is followed by the Bahari. From here on there is a bit of a muddle. Wths some sources telling me that the Bahari and Alang is of the same length while others saying that the alang is langer then the Bahari just short of it being a true Keris Panjang... which the grand daddy of this form...

As far as differentiations in styling, I have seen far more wonderful variations in the peninsula then I have in Sumatra forms. I'll post a variation of this that later on. But to be perfectly honest wth you, I am really uncertain about the B vs AA stuff thaat you have mentioned and have never been told of this B vs A distinction being based on regional variation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
How does it look on the other side? Could you please show close-ups of the upper third? At the moment this does look more like an unevenly exposed core to me rather than differential hardening of a single edge but this impression may well be wrong.
The otherside is about the same wth only one side darker at the edge then the rest of the blade face. If time permits I'll show the upper 3rd.

I bought this original piece from the Malay Art Gallery some years back.. Adny, the propriertor had told me that he believes that the uneven effect is the result of differential hardening. He recommended that the blade be left as is and not be warangan treated so as to show that distinctiveness of it whch was one the reasons that I was attracted to it. I agreed with it. If you notice the base and abit more elsewhere, there are many fine crystaline features on the blade known as Miang (flecks) a much prized feature in Malay kerisology.

Last edited by BigG; 4th September 2010 at 01:56 PM.
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote