View Single Post
Old 1st May 2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Ward, I was assuming Ali Dinar was the point of reference, but was unsure...couldn't recall what year he was killed by British after insurgency.

I am curious about the snake/python symbolism,which does seem to occur noticeably on blades from Darfur and these regions, enough to be noted in the Reed article.

Thank you for the links Stephen, I did indeed find them interesting, especially the note on Peter Knell blades.

The cross and orb is different than those typically inscribed on European blades in which the cross's verticle line extends to a horizontal line bisecting the orb. Italian blades of some similarity identified by the markings on them , as well as the orb and cross as early as 16th century are known in Tunisian regions. Perhaps these were the prototypes for the native applied versions.

The lion reminds me in essence of the winged lions found stamped in some schiavona, for St. Marks. I believe the stance is however similar. There is of course considerable record of Venetian trade into Tunisian regions.

Thanks again guys,
all the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote