View Single Post
Old 11th April 2018, 10:32 PM   #9
Bryce

G'day guys,

I thought I would resurrect this old thread as I have recently come into possession of an unusual British sword with very similar blade decoration. My sword has a blade which is 80cm long and 3.6cm wide and is recurved similar to a yataghan or sosun pattah. This recurved design provides a sword with a curved edge for cutting and a point which is more inline with the hilt for easier thrusting. This recurved design is very unusual for British swords and I have only ever seen one other from this period which was owned (and allegedly designed) by Lt Col Frederick Cavendish Ponsonby of the 12th Light Dragoons.

My sword has an unusual "mameluke style" hilt while most other examples of these pipe back swords have 1796 style hilts. These British 1796 style swords with pipe back blades and "mystical symbol" and "curling comet/foliage" designs can be dated back to as early as 1812/13. I have a theory that this "comet" design may be related to the great comet of 1811, which was a prominent feature of the European night sky in 1811/12. The comet was thought to have a positive effect on the growth of plants, especially grapes and wine vintages from the years when comets were seen were very sought after. This may explain the foliage designs which are combined with the comet in the decoration of these swords, although foliage is a very common component of most sword decoration from this period.

At least two swords with this decoration can be attributed to officers of the 12th light dragoons.

Ibrahiim, what led you to guess that Cathey's sword may have belonged to an officer of the 12th dragoons?

My sword has been professionally sharpened and came from France leading to the intriguing possibility that it may have been captured in battle, perhaps at Waterloo?

Cheers,
Bryce
Attached Images

Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote