Thread: Candi Sukuh
View Single Post
Old 14th November 2016, 09:56 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

There are a number of carvings with keris stuck into their belts, I've identified perhaps the more obvious one of these in the pages I've linked to.

Here is a pic of another keris, its already in the pages linked to, P.3.

Here is a link to a page in my "Interpretation ---" article that shows the best known Candi Sukuh keris, scroll down, image 14 :-

http://www.kerisattosanaji.com/INTERPRETATIONPAGE3.html

this one is now in Jakarta.

I've visited Candi Sukuh numerous times, in the past, when I have stayed in Jawa my house has been in a village behind Palur, which is at the foot of the climb up to Mt. Lawu, so its even closer than Solo. To find all the keris took me a lot of time, I didn't find them all during one visit, it took a lot of visits and hours of trying to work out shapeless lumps of eroded statuary.

As to "restoring to former glory", I'm confident it will be a very professional restoration, these people have had a lot of experience with that, but as with the local people in the area, I am equally certain that when it has been restored the spirit that was previously in residence will have flown. It will be a beautiful, but empty piece of architecture.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote